Keratin is a protein that’s naturally found in your hair. It’s responsible for your hair’s health. While keratin makes your hair strong, it’s also prone to damage due to environmental aggressors.
Hydrolyzed keratin is a large protein molecule that is broken down after a chemical process in a manner such that it can penetrate the hair cuticle. It is sourced from a larger keratin molecule.
Keratin is broken down by splitting its bond with the addition of hydrogen and hydroxide (water). At the end of the chemical process, the keratin is reduced into smaller fragments that the hair can absorb, thanks to its lower molecular weight.
Essentially, hydrolyze means to fragment the protein or break into smaller pieces in a non-specific manner. The broken-down proteins deposit themselves on the hair’s shaft. Due to the low molecular weight and the small size, the hydrolyzed keratin proteins go beyond the cuticle, penetrate the hair shaft and reduce damage.
When you use hydrolyzed keratin on your hair topically, it helps fill the minor gaps throughout the hair shaft, including its three layers – the medulla, cortex and cuticle. It’s like pouring cement into a crack. When hydrolyzed keratin fills these microscopic gaps, hair gets the strength to minimize damage from chemical treatments, heat styling, mechanical manipulation and the sun.
Here are some of Hydrolyzed Keratin’s benefits:
• Reduces frizz, shedding and breakage.
• Increases smoothness and elasticity with its moisture-binding abilities.
• Essentially, hydrolyzed keratin helps rebuild the hair’s natural protective layer from the inside by increasing the diameter of each strand. This gives a fuller appearance and replaces lost protein. • When hair treatments contain broken down or hydrolyzed keratin, it creates a protective barrier on the hair and simultaneously imparts shine.
• Hydrolyzed keratin works on the skin too, and it restores moisture and improves the elasticity of the skin.
• Its moisturizing properties make shampoos and conditioners that contain hydrolyzed keratin a go-to option for those with brittle, dry or limp hair.
• It’s an excellent choice to tame unruly hair and make it more manageable.
• As hair is made from keratin, it’s one of the best proteins to treat hair that’s heavily manipulated or chemically damaged. Usually, when hair undergoes chemical processes, the amino acid cysteine breaks down and results in weakened and damaged hair. Keratin is known to replace this lost cysteine. Hydrolyzed keratin increases cysteine content, which increases tensile strength and minimizes damage.
• It also increases volume, strengthens your hair, and restores luster.
Hydrolyzed keratin is a multifunctional and go-to strengthening protein that helps your damaged hair turn over a new leaf.